Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kittens Kittens Kittens!

  I have read at least 3 blog posts recently about lucky people who just welcomed new kittens into their homes! Well we did too!
                                                                               

                                               
                                              Two fuzzy lil balls of cuteness! Smokey and Oreo.

   We found them in one of the old barns, starving and alone. We're almost certain their mother was killed by a car near our lane. We have kept out a sharp eye for a momma in the vicinity.
                                      Heres our story...
   We have chickens and foxes like to try and treat our hen house like a buffet. We moved our Beagle Boys', Rascal and Bandit, kennel next to the chicken pens for some extra security. This has worked wonderfully! Those dogs get even a whiff of any animal not of our yard they go nutso! They have a specific bark for rabbit, cat and fox or raccoon. We know right away whats in our yard. After a particularly horrific fox attack on our juvenile chickens over the summer, in which my husband had to put down a very young chicken, we keep a spotlight by the back door. We can easily find whats in our yard and chase it off.  Last Saturday night the Boys were barking their "cat" bark. I went out expecting to chase off a tom cat but spotted a tiny kitten, who immediately dove under the barn door. No way I was going into that barn in the pitch dark. Its full of old equipment,wood, and not to mention over a hundred years of dust and pigeon poop. I told my husband and he looked around Sunday morning but didn't see a thing. It was a beautiful day My hubs and I were revamping the chicken pen, our sons were outside playing and to get my computer addicted tween outside with her little brothers I suggested a kitten hunt. They all readily agreed.My husband and I high fived cause we got our daughter off the computer with little drama! That's right! Gettin the hang of this parenting stuff. Uh huh! Literally 2 minutes later here come the kids with a kitten! My husband and I just looked at each other and of course ran over to check out the lil cutie! We found a litter of five kittens. We offered a bowl of cat food and they gobbled it down. Water was gone in an instant. The poor little dears were full of fleas. We put them in a wire dog kennel with a cozy old blanket and put them on the enclosed porch of the old farm house right next to our rancher. No one lives there anymore. I doubt ghosts care about fleas. :)



                                                               
   There were two little black ones with white "bow ties" Hershey and The Dr., Smokey all gray, Oreo the fuzzy black and white one and another black and white short hair the boys called Shylo.  We wanted to keep them all but we could not afford 5  more cats. We already have one elderly cat, Samoa, who visits the vet pretty frequently, two dogs, a parakeet and 14 chickens. We couldn't just have one though and we chose 2. Smokey and Oreo. The others I took to the local Humane Society so they could get the care they needed. The tiny black one had a weepy eye and I don't think she was fully weaned from her momma. We called her The Dr. because of her bow tie. We all know bow ties are cool... We took our two fuzzy babies and had them flea dipped and checked out. They are around 6 weeks old. They are spoiled rotten already!
                           
Smokey sitting on my stitching table. Pen for size comparison!



daughter snuggling oreoawwww
 They have been a joy! Though I don't understand how two tiny kittens can sound like horses running round the house at 2 am!! Smokeys got the cutest meow. He trills like a bird. Oreo is bigger and more adventuresome! He chases the kids around and they love it! Hes got some supa ninja moves.
Samoa ,our older gal, is still getting used to them. She doesn't like change and gets stressed out easily.

samoa balancing precariously on my kitchen curtains

A slightly better pic. at least you can see her here. 
All the pictures on this post have been taken by my children on my daughters ipod.  Sorry about the quality but I swore to use them!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...